Here are some obvious, and not so obvious, ways to keep your cool when the temperature rises.
- Drink plenty of cool water. Skip the ice, or just use a cube or two. The idea is to hydrate your body, not send it into shock. Your body wants to stay at 98.6F. If your core temperature falls below this, your body will do all it can to raise the temperature back to normal, even generating more heat.
- Drink Hot Tea. Hot tea won’t send your body into shock. See the tip #1.
- Eat Cooling Foods. Cucumbers, Watermelon, Lettuce, Corn, and Squash are all summer foods for a reason. Eat more of them to keep healthy and cool.
- Dress appropriately. Do what they do in the Middle East. Wear light colors and cover your arms and legs. The idea is to keep the sun off your skin. Also, a sun hat (forget the baseball cap!) and sunglasses will keep the sun from your eyes, head, and neck.
- Stay in the shade. Do what you can to keep the sun off of your skin.
- Use a cold compress. If you need to be outside for extended periods, place a cold compress on the back of your neck. This will keep your core body temperature from rising too high. You can also use it to wipe down your body to remove excess sweat. Replace every 15 or 20 minutes.
- Take a cool shower. End the day with a relaxing cool shower to remove the sweat from the day and cool your skin.
- Take A Powder. Use a corn starch based powder after your shower, or first thing in the morning. It’s refreshing and cools the skin.
- Use O.P.A.C. Avail yourself of Other People’s Air Conditioning! Visit friends, go to the mall, see a movie, do what you can to spend time indoors.
During the summer, it’s not only the temperature that rises, but also people’s tempers and emotions, maybe even your own. Staying cool physically, can help you stay cool emotionally.
How do you stay cool in the Summer heat? Let us know in the comments.